Saturday, January 25, 2014

Is It Cocktail Hour Yet? I'll Have a Manhattan, Please!



















It is so cold out. It is so cold out and it is snowing.  I had my entire day planned - to grout the tile floor in the mud room.  You know how much I like to grout.   However, when I went to mix the grout, I realized I had bought concrete patcher instead of grout - so no grout work.  What do you do on a cold day with your project cancelled?  Drink!  

Now, Tim may be the cook in the family , but I am the drunk, I mean mixologist. Tim and I default to our favorite cocktail which is usually tequila and Fresca or vodka and Fresca.  However, since we had a less then productive day ahead of us - I decided that it's time to explore our cocktail heritage. We had all the fixings, right?  Well, no bitters or cherries -  a quick grocery trip to Price Choppers and all of those worries are behind us.  We decide that over the Polar Vortex, Arctic Blast Winter we are having - that it is a perfect opportunity to drink.  We have cut out liquor from our diets during the week so why should we kill ourselves on a cold polar weekend?

We decide to explore classic cocktails.  A Manhattan comes to mind.

Manhattan

2 parts whisky
1 part Sweet Vermouth
Dash of Bitters
As many Cherries as you want to have in a cocktail

Yum.  It's what I like in a drink.  A little bitter, a little sweet, lots of alcohol and a sweet little treat at the end.  I am partial to Negroni's too with this same kind of bitter sweet taste but this definitely enhanced a very cold, wintry weekend.   Now if we could just get a pizza delivered upstate - it would be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment