Sunday, April 15, 2012

DIY Concrete

When I was a kid, I used to call my dad the Concrete King - a title bequeathed to him by my mother.  Give dad a bag of concrete and a bare area in the yard and he would be adding a patio, sidewalk, terraced garden, retainer wall, you name it - it got concrete.  He even made us a time capsule and buried it in one of his concrete walls which is still there I think. I never understood this strange  obsession until I got this book this year.  We grow stone around here but we still need a lot more pavers and walls then we can dig up or buy.  I bought paver molds and patio concrete molds to use this summer but found this book and now I have all sorts of projects to complete.  It's going to be a concrete summer.  I called my dad when I got the book and told him I had a new obsession and he just laughed and said " now, you know."  My mother just rolled her eyes.

I started making pavers and am going to build a patio and grilling area with concrete tables and lots of concrete containers for annuals.  I poured my first pot this weekend using old plastic nursery containers we recycle.  I can't wait to see if it works which will mean I will be making planters all summer long.  We can't use terra cotta pots because the snow just destroys them if they are left outside.  Very excited. My dad will be so proud.

2 comments:

  1. Am I looking at the heir to the throne? Hehe. :D You’re right; concrete is so fun to use in DIY projects. It’s because you have the liberty to control the shape and design of the concrete. Hence, you’ll have tons of things to work on. Your only limitation is your creativity. And of course, it’s challenging at first especially when you start mixing cement. Well, it’s been seven months since you started this, so I think you’ve been doing very well with that now!

    Salvatore Aguilar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being able to create things on your own is a very fulfilling achievement! I will not be surprised if you’ll inherit your dad’s title! How many concrete projects have you made already? Post some pictures of it too. Thanks!

    -Alphonse Daigle

    ReplyDelete