Sunday, July 21, 2013

Noah's Windowbox



















It rained Saturday morning, so I went down to the basement to start working on a windowbox that I have been constructing since April.  I bought all the cedar wood and hauled it down to North Carolina to visit my Uncle and Aunt.  My Uncle has a great woodshop and I had bought these vintage wooden brackets from an architectural salvage yard for the brackets that support the box and thought he could help me build them while I was down there for a visit.  The brackets became an entire project on their own and quite complicated and we spent the week just constructing cleats and reinforcing the brackets.  Months later, I am just now getting around to building the windowbox.  Unfortunately, the vinyl liners determine the size of the boxes and the box just kept getting larger and larger.  The box sits on top of a shelf and is removable leaving the shelf for Holiday decorations like pumpkins, gourds and evergreens. However, the box is now so heavy - I don't think I am going to be able to use the original cleats and brackets.  It is built like Noah's ark or Noah's coffin.  Now, I am going to have to build a series of posts to support the box which means it will be next summer before this window box goes outside.  Thank goodness for long winters and a large basement.  The brackets will be saved for a porch project so nothing is wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment