Monday, June 18, 2012

Water Feature




Sometimes all it takes is a sprinkler and some light weeding and of course a cocktail to make my day.  I love to just stand in the yard and look at all our hard work  paying off.  At the end of a beautiful weekend afternoon , I just turn the sprinkler on and move it around the garden beds and do some light weeding .  I love listening to the sprinkler while I work.  That and the pond are the only water features I need. The sun sets to the west of the house and we get this filtered light through the trees.  I wander around the garden with a bucket in one hand filled with hand tools and  a cocktail in the other.  I weed and transfer small perennials that are seeding randomly.  I transfer two small blueberry bushes that are getting swallowed up by the asparagus plants and move them to the kitchen garden.    

Lots of yard work this weekend, I mowed and weeded for 5 hours on Friday - that is the problem with 5 acres - it's a lot to maintain. The guy I asked to brushhog the meadow never got back to me about costs - so I will have to call him again this week. 

Saturday, cleaned house all day - getting ready for July 4th week with 16 people coming.  Saturday night, Richard and Brian had us over for dinner at their place in Roxbury.  We haven't been to their house since Irene hit last year so we didn't know how much yard work had gotten completed but Brian surprised us with this beautiful new shade garden he has been working on that looked spectacular.  He had done some extensive work along the creek bed that washed out portions of their yard last year.  The erosion from the flood was obvious but it actually created a surprising architectural change to the creek with these cascading rocks and water.  The garden looked great.  We had dinner on the deck and drank wine long into the evening.

Sunday, finished cleaning and had some time to go weed the perennial garden which is  in need of work.  We were both exhausted from two days of hard labor and quit early to read and get out of the heat.  Tim decided at the last minute that we could probably drive down in the am  - so we got a gift afternoon - and I went outside to do some more yard work and water the garden.  We ordered a pizza and went to pick it up from Hogans in Andes and came back to the house and ate dinner on the front porch while the sun set.  The swallow"s babies hatched this weekend  and the parent swallows seemed very happy  as they soared and swooped around the garden.  Beautiful   

No comments:

Post a Comment