Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Memorable Memorial Day


Tim and I had our normal weekend last week but we were driving down to his sister's house in Westchester for Memorial Day. We had some time in the morning before we left so we scrambled to finish chores before we drove down. I guess I wasn't being careful enough in my rush to get things done because the first thing to happen - as I am putting away adirondack chairs in the basement - I slipped on the concrete steps and fell. I landed on my arm and shoulder and it hurt. Bruised and embarrassed, I pushed on. I should have known to be more careful.

Next, I had to plant two last juniper bushes in the ground and dug the holes and watered them. As I put up the shovel, I noticed that my forearms were breaking out. Within minutes, my arms are completely covered in a red rash and blistering. Obviously, I was extremely allergic to the juniper. I ran in the house and washed my arms but it was too late. My arms looked a mess. However, that still didn't keep me down. We load the truck and as we are driving down, we have to throw away some old decomposing plastic sheeting that covered a manure pile in the driveway. As I am throwing the dirty plastic into the dumpster, a breeze picks up and blows the plastic all over me. I am covered head to toe in wet left over manure remnants. I have no change of clothes to go to Tim's sisters. I arrived at her home - dirty, smelly, bruised and rash-y. It wasn't a good day.

Tim comments as we are knocking on the door to their home - "Are you sure you don't want to come back into the city with me tonight? I don't trust you by yourself upstate. Promise me - no ladders, no brush fires and don't touch anything"! I roll my eyes but deep down I know he is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment