Monday, April 26, 2010

Tadpole Central

Whew! Busy weekend. Saturday was absolutely gorgeous. 70 degree weather in April? Crazy global warming. This weekend, we planted two crabapple trees, a tulip magnolia tree, six lilac bushes, spread two more bags of grass seed and planted more seed for the vegetable garden. Tim continued to haul more rock for the vegetable garden. I put up a second birdhouse. Tim weeded the existing cutting garden. There were Blue Birds flying all over.

We went to a party at two friends of ours that live in Roxbury, R and B. I have known R. for twenty years - we were neighbors in Winston-Salem, North Carolina years ago. Tim and I were cornered again by our local bee hive expert who was buzzing around drumming up hive business. We would love bees but I heard that they attract bears. I am scared to death of bears.

The tadpole eggs had all hatched. There were thousands of little black spermatozoa swimming in the pond. Most of the eggs that floated on the surface of the pond had hatched but then we noticed these large jellyfish-shaped pods with eggs on the bottom of the pond. R. told us that those were probably bullfrog eggs. There were a couple transitional frogs swimming among the tiny tadpoles - it's all very interesting but all the leftover frog placenta floating around had me grossed out.

Tim and I love watching the birds at the bird feeder out our kitchen window. However, our neighbor, M., informed us that the feeders actually attract bears this time of year. That feeder was dragged down to the basement within seconds. Tim pouted all afternoon.

My favorite moment of the weekend was on Saturday. Tim and I enjoying cocktails, walking around the garden talking about how well the garden was doing and our plans for the future. That is when Tim and I are at our best. Of course, I also forgot to mention the hilarious tap dancing on plywood in the basement but that is another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment