Thursday, February 18, 2010

Is that a cougar in the kitchen?

After years of enjoying culinary escapades cooking over Sterno, propane, and a campfire plus relying on the kindness of strangers, now it was payback time - specifically with our friends and neighbor's M and M. M's birthday (the second M, not the first) was the moment to pull out all the stops. Since my cooking abilities were questionable, I married up so that I wouldn't starve to death or poison our neighbors.

Tim went to culinary school in between his career in finance, travel marketing and health services. (See attached resume). Having performed many duties at Peter Kump's Cooking School, including plongeur and stagier, he is a great chef. ( In case Padma and Tom are reading). Tim tells me he is a "cougar" in the kitchen ( for all you Top Chef fans). I really don't know what to think about that - he is younger then I am?

Menu du Jour:

Caponata - Italian, eggplant relish

Braised Pork Loin Fillets with Prunes and Creme Sauce
Sauteed Swiss Chard
Scalloped Potatoes with Leeks and Gruyere Cheese

Butterscotch and Rum Triple Layer Cake with Roasted Pecans.

Now I had my doubts about the prune creme sauce as well as the 8 sticks of butter used in the cake. We were either going to put M and M on the toilet or in the grave or both. We spent the entire day cooking and baking and finally exhausted from licking the remains of the frosting bowl, various spatulas and mixer attachments - at the end - there was this beautiful, frosted, pecan encrusted cake on the kitchen island looking amazing!

Dinner was a huge success! Despite the fact that prunes and I don't agree. Tim is willing to alter the recipe slightly for me next time. However I have attached both original recipes - so enjoy! (See next post).

No comments:

Post a Comment