Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Exploring....






















Robert Moore Shuford was my Grandfather.  An incredibly gentle, loving, intelligent, soul.  This week - I was helping my Uncle and Aunt pack and leave North Carolina to move to Florida.  They are awesome and incredibly generous.  Over the past couple years as they transitioned from larger homes to smaller homes - they have had to slowly leave behind objects that they can no longer fit into their new lifestyles and homes.  I am glad to say that I am the fortunate and grateful recipient of some of their treasures.  Both my Grandfather and Uncle were wood workers and I love that I will carry on this tradition.  Both Grandfather and Uncle were engineers in different fields but very specialized.  My Grandfather was an engineer for Frick refrigeration and the top photo was him working in his offices. His back to the photographer - I love this pic.  I also love the pic of my Grandfather working in his wood shop in his basement in Pennsylvania.  I am going to blow this up and frame it to put in my wood shop.  I have another photo of my Uncle which I plan to blow up as well and hang it along with my Grandfather's pic.  One of the "gifts" this week is this amazing set of drawers and workbench that my Grandfather made some decades ago.  They are beat up but still functional - but it's what is in the drawers that is magical.  All of these great tools and bits and chisels that he used while working on many of his projects.  There are also meticulous notes he took while working on projects in his impeccable hand.  He had amazing penmanship.  Every drawer I opened was an intimate peak at his personality.  So excited to spend hours exploring and getting to work with his and my Uncle's tools.  

No comments:

Post a Comment