Sunday, November 17, 2013

Orange Is The New Black

We drive from our home to go to the post office downtown and as we drive down our farm road - there are several lone men with hipster Duck Dynasty beards, camouflage, and guns walking down the street and in pairs driving down the road in trucks.  If you didn't know better - you would think you were smack dab in the middle of a terrorist incident.  Men with guns walking randomly down our street and in the back fields behind our property just unnerves me.  At what point, is it right to allow people to just  wander aimlessly with no supervision with guns and shoot wherever they deem appropriate?

We stopped by the post office and I walked into say hello to Janet, our post mistress, and grab our mail.  As I walk up the stairs to the post office, the newspaper headlines catch my eye  calling out - "Wear Your Orange!" I walk in and start chatting with Janet - our normal Saturday morning banter - "So Janet, when did Hunting season start?" Janet replies - "Today."  I knew it!  That explains the gun shots we keep hearing and bearded men on our street.  I walk back out to the truck to drive us to the grocery store.  I tell him - "You better find some orange to wear if you are going to be out in the yard, Hunting season started!"  Tim is already engaged pouring through the William Sonoma cooking catalog but manages a quip "Orange is the New Black."  ( Sorry Netflix.)  I hate Hunting season.  Seeing the guns just makes me nervous.  We have so many deer and I wouldn't mind seeing fewer of them since it takes so many weeks to fence in the yard to keep them from eating our entire yard.  However, killing anything freaks me out.

As we drive back from grocery shopping in Delhi, we see these 3 poor little fawns scrambling across the highway obviously scared and alone and confused.  I look at Tim and all we can think about is that they have been separated from their mother probably because she has been shot.  I HATE hunting season.

No comments:

Post a Comment