Saturday, March 6, 2010

Grace

Tim and I met and fell in love. One of the hurdles that we had to overcome as we merged our lives was that he had cats. I am allergic to cats. Grace and Burns (yes, I know - Tim named them) are these two dark, beautiful, overweight, adorable, sweet, Siamese. They are brother and sister. I love all animals so it's hard having allergies because I would love nothing better then to have them purr and lick me all over. We have spent the last 5 years trying to manage the cats and allergies. We de-catted the bedroom so I had a safe haven to breathe. However, I still tried to get close to them. I would hold them in my arms, pet them and run for the bathroom to wash the hair off of me. Tim would change clothes and shower before he came to bed with me. Even though I may have had issues, one of my secret pleasures was getting up in the morning while Tim was still in bed and putting a pot of coffee on, feed the cats and sit there petting the cats. It was all part of our new life together.

We had to put Grace in the hospital yesterday and today we had to put her to sleep. She was diagnosed with cancer and advanced pancreatitis. It broke my heart to watch Tim hold her in his arms when the vet injected her. You never imagine when you get a kitten or puppy that they will not be with you forever. This morning because Burns cried all morning, I pulled him into bed with us and the three of us lay there together in our bed. We will miss Grace very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment