Sunday, January 13, 2013

Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts



















Rain and unusual warm weather for a cold but damp and very muddy weekend.  The 2 feet of snow we got over the holidays was gone by Sunday.  We don't have this kind of mud until Spring but we got a warmish few days this week and it took care of the big snowfall. We didn't feel like going anywhere other then the post office so we progressed with our painting of the living room, all the interior doors and then started working on the drapes for the kitchen.  I pride myself on being able to do most of this work - I had a very crafty grandfather and I think I inherited his skill sets.  I design textiles all week long for a home furnishings company and then get to apply my sewing skills on the weekend. I hate purchased drapes and like to make all my own custom drapes. I  have the craft room cleaned up and ready to go as I make drapes, valances and roman shades while the weather outside is frightful.  Tim worked on scrapbooking all day down in the basement and then made this easy but great meal of braised chicken and roasted brussels sprouts.  I can never have enough of this vegetable so any new way that Tim can find to fix them - I am ready to try.

Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts

1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1 ounce toasted walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Whisk together maple syrup, oil, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Add brussels sprouts, and toss.
2. Transfer brussels sprouts to a rimmed baking sheet.  Spread brussels sprouts in a single layer, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and roast for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through and making sure brussels sprouts are spread towards the edges of pan.
3. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with chopped walnuts and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment