Monday, September 5, 2011

Braised Collard Greens


  • I lived in North Carolina for 11 years.  I love Southern cooking and have actually taught Tim a few things about the genre.  I love collards because I love bitter flavors.  Collards can be an acquired taste like grits and Tim did his best with the collards we picked this weekend and he did a  phenomenal job.  They were delicious.  At least I thought they were. I had seconds and thirds - and they only taste better as leftovers as far as I am concerned. Tim wasn't quite as enthralled with them as I was. Oh well, he doesn't have to eat them as long as he cooks them for me I am happy.


  • Collards

  • 1 pound collard greens, trimmed and washed, water still clinging to the leaves
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 slices bacon, cut in half lengthwise and sliced crosswise in 1/2-inch pieces
  • Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
  • Coarse salt
  1. Remove the tough stems from the collard
    leaves. Finely slice the stems crosswise.
    Stack a few leaves on top of each other and
    cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces. Repeat with all
    leaves. You'll have 8 packed cups.
  2. Heat a 10-inch saute pan over high heat.
    Swirl in the oil and add the onion, bacon,
    and red pepper flakes. Fry until the onion is
    soft and the bacon is beginning to render
    its fat and crisp up, about 13 minutes.
  3. Add the greens, 2 cups at a time. Stir into the
    onion mixture as you add. They will collapse
    and shrink in the heat.
  4. When all the greens are in the pan and the
    heat has returned to sizzling high, pour in
    the vinegar. Stir to evaporate. Cover and
    let the greens cook over low heat until just
    tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add a bit of water
    as needed to keep the greens from burning.
    Add salt to taste and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment