Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hardware Store Black Out

I took the train out of the city early on Friday to shop at Lowes. Tim would come up on the train later that evening and I would pick him up. Typically on a Friday night, we get to Poughkeepsie so late that Lowes is closed or we are too tired to shop. I should not be allowed in a hardware store by myself. It spells disaster. I cannot walk into a Lowes, Home Depot, or Ace Hardware without spending a fortune. Tim has cut me off many times before. I told him and myself that I was only going to spend a gift card that I had received for Christmas. That is all I was allowed to spend. I went with my gift card to shop for tile for the guest bathroom. I walked in completely conscious and all I can remember is how beautiful the weather was that afternoon. I blacked out shortly after that. I walked out of Lowes, two hours later, with a gazebo kit, trellis panel supplies, subway tile boxes, quarts of tile adhesive, a deck umbrella, alternate tile samples, and a headache. I don't know what happened. I only became conscious as the two men were loading the 200 pound gazebo kit into the back of the pick up. What was I thinking? I blame it on a particularly warm 70 degree day on friday afternoon. I blame it on a long winter. I blame it on too many hours watching DIY shows on HGTV. It was just too much for me. I hesitantly pulled into the train station hoping Tim might not notice the 10 foot wood planks and the 8 foot, 200 pound gazebo kit hanging off the back of the pickup. Tim just got in the truck and said " that must have been a hell of a gift card."

2 comments: