Saturday, February 3, 2018

Dongtai Antique Market



























I have been to Shanghai many times for work.  It's an amazing city in many ways.  However, one of the things that I don't like about it is that they have destroyed so much of its architectural past in pursuit of industry and the future.  The flea market on Dongtai street used to be one of my favorite things to shop while there. Unfortunately, it has disappeared slowly block by block.  Old residential neighborhoods being torn down for high rise "Transformer" styled buildings. I had a free Sunday and walked over and couldn't believe how much of the market was gone. All of the tables are no longer there and just a handful of shops still open. I love looking for old Transferware while there. I love mixing old and new Ironstone, my Grandmother's blue Spode pattern, my Mother's white on white Noritake and my own blue vintage dishes. I bought a couple pieces - a vase and bowl while there.  I got home and unwrapped them and they look great with our assortment of dishes.  I like things you can use.  They will get a workout with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment