FRIED CAULIFLOWER IN GARLIC AND GINGER SAUCE
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds,plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces, plus sliced onions for garnish
- vegetable or canola oil
- In a large mixing bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, the baking soda, salt, 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, black pepper, 1 1/4 cup of water, and 3/4 cup of flour. Mix together well.
- Add the cauliflower florets and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of flour and the sesame seeds over the coated cauliflower. Lightly toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, bring to a slight bubble, the following ingredients: 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, grated ginger, minced garlic, dried chili flakes, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and one cup of water. Stir well.
- When the mixture comes to a slight boil, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to 1 tablespoon of water and mix well, add that mixture to the sauce pan. Next, toss in the green onions and stir to combine. Reduce to a simmer and allow to thicken.
- In the meantime, heat the vegetable oil in a deep pot to 375 degrees. (You can also use a deep fryer if you have one.)
- Carefully place the coated cauliflower florets into the hot oil. Fry each piece until golden brown - about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oil and allow to drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Once all of the pieces are fried, increase the temperature of the oil to 385 degrees and re-fry the nuggets of cauliflower for another 30-60 seconds. This will provide a deeper colour and a better crunch. This step is completely optional!
- Lastly, plate the cauliflower and spoon the thick, hot sauce over top. Garnish with the sliced green onions and a few sesame seeds. Serve immediately.