Friday, October 6, 2017

Florida Room

I keep a massive workbook list of projects. In that book, for every project, there are lists of to-dos, to buys, to research, and how to build.  We have these two large outbuildings on the property which were originally the two cabins we camped out in before we built the house.  We finished the first cabin interior and insulated it and ran electric to it.  The second cabin was not completed.  We used the first cabin as a seasonal fourth bedroom when we had parties at the house and needed it for the overflow of house guests. It wasn't the best use of the space.  When I inherited all of the wood shop equipment, we put all of it the second, unfinished shed because we didn't have time to finish out the second cabin. I have been working with electricity run from a power cord from the other building.  Not good. Over the summer, we discussed how we could better use the two cabins.  So, next Spring, we will move all of the wood shop equipment to the first building which has a substantial floor, insulation, walls, and electricity already installed.  This will solve two problems. We will have electricity for all of the saws, sanders, and routers.  It will also allow us the time to finish out the second cabin as we have time to do it.  We decided that in order to get more use out of the second building was to make it more of a Florida room rather than just an extra bedroom.  It has a porch and patio door window but still, needs additional windows.  On the way home from Delhi this week, I passed a house on HWY 28 that was being remodeled.  The contractor had put several large windows on the curb to discard.  I picked out three windows and threw them in the back of my pick up.  The windows are the perfect size and proportion for remodeling the shed.  The three were part of a set - a large picture window with two book-end casement style windows. I will use the large picture window for the cabin to add to the existing windows and will use the two additional windows for when I enclose the back porch.  I love when my hoarding instincts kick in.  I love a good bargain.  This will save me hundreds of dollars on windows for both remodeling jobs.  So many projects, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment