Friday, April 21, 2017

A Memory




































I was cleaning out a box and found these old crocheted doilies of my Mother's from the 60's that were made by our housekeeper, Alice, in the Philippines in the 60's. It just brought back so many memories of us living overseas. In the heat of the day, my brother and I would sit with Alice under exotic fruit trees in our back yard and I would watch her crochet endlessly for our family and for herself. She did beautiful work and she made table covers and window draperies for our home - I thought all of it was gone. She loved yellow and there is a pic of a dining table cover made in her favorite color where I sit listening to Tennessee Ernie Ford 45 records endlessly driving my parents crazy. I loved the sound of his deep booming voice. Parties in our front yard that my Mom threw under coconut trees and banana palms. Kalesa rides up our street driven by the man who was our gardener. Pig roasting parties thrown by the Officer's club. Trips to the China Sea with my family and our friends the Cassidays for beach weekends. My mother's terrible fear of snakes hiding everywhere. The special language my brother and I created and spoke to each other. I love when objects trigger memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment