Sunday, August 14, 2016


























The Inanimate Life of Objects - I have always believed that objects have a life to them and power. It's probably why I have been drawn to second hand shops most of my life. I love knowing that the item whatever it is had a past life. The last couple years - I have inherited so much from my Parents and Grandparents and Uncle and Aunt. The basement is full as I try to find new homes for these objects in our house which have tremendous power and memory for me. As painful as the process of editing their belonging was - so is incorporating these newly transplanted objects. Making room for all of this stuff you cannot part with is a huge undertaking. My mom lives part time with us and I fill her bedroom with as much of her transplanted life as I possibly can since she can't have much in the nursing home that she lives in during the week. I had several of her old lamps rewired and re-shaded to put in our house to make her feel at home. The first pair were from our time in Japan - white ceramic lamps that have been on my parent's bedside tables since I was 5 that now sit in her bedroom here in Bovina. I had them rewired and updated them with new red linen shades. The second pair of amber mediterranean style lamps which are a little dated were a gift from my Dad to my Mom in the 60's in California. I still have to replace the shades but they are so big I have had a time trying to find replacement shades and will probably have to have them customized. They now sit in a guest room. I couldn't part with either pair and make Mom feel at home and that her things are a part of our lives now. There is so much more to edit and add. However, everywhere I look - there are these things that are so full of memory - good or bad - they have such a hold on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment